Blue Light Phones Intro
To provide members of Alverno College and surrounding community with a direct means of contacting The Department of Campus Safety, the college maintains Blue Light Phones. Blue Light Phones are most frequently recognized by blue lights on the top of the phones. The phones are available in the Parking Structure and other parking areas on the west side of campus and on the south side of the Fire Pit Fieldhouse by the Soccer Field. More than a dozen phones provide direct contact to an On-duty Officer with Campus Safety. The phones may be used for emergencies and non-emergencies, or for vehicle assistance.
To operate a Blue Light Phone
- Locate a Blue Light phone
- Push the red talk button. The phone will automatically ring to a cell phone carried by an on duty officer with Campus Safety.
- Talk to the Duty Officer.
- If you are unable to talk, simply push the red talk button. The Duty Officer will be able to hear what is happening in the area. Duty Officers will begin checking areas to locate the situation.
- The phone will disconnect automatically upon completion of the call.
Examples for using Blue Light Phone
- Need directions
- Need a jump-start or ran out of fuel
- Have a medical emergency
- Become a victim of or a witness to a crime
- See suspicious activity
NOTE: Blue Light and Service Phones are not only for emergencies but can be used to obtain any type of assistance from Campus Safety.