Welcome to Academic Advising at Alverno. If you have advising-related questions, you've come to the right place. Search these pages for information or get in touch with us directly.
What Academic Advisors Do
Academic Advisors collaborate with and support students as they work toward their academic, personal and professional goals. Advisors are committed to being accessible, providing accurate information, being sensitive to student differences and maintaining a respectful and caring environment.
In short, we help students with many aspects of their college experience.
Some of this may include the following:
- Getting to know our students and regularly checking in with them.
- Monitoring students' academic performance and progress.
- Providing information about Alverno's curriculum.
- Helping students explore majors, minors, specializations and careers.
- Assisting students to plan and register for classes.
- Giving students information and tools to understand their program requirements.
- Helping students create a semester-by-semester graduation plan.
- Clarifying college policies and procedures.
- Engaging in problem-solving when issues arise.
- Referring students to other college resources and support systems, as needed.
- Celebrating student success and accomplishments!
How Students are Assigned to Advisors
Each student in an Alverno degree program is assigned to a specific advisor. Some advisors work in the Advising Office and others do not. If you're not sure who your advisor is, please call us at 414-382-6029 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help connect you.
- Associate of Arts Students work with both a Professional Advisor and the Director of the Associate of Arts program.
- Undergraduate Students in the Weekday Women’s College are initially assigned to a Professional or Promise Scholar Advisor in the Advising Office. Once students have declared a major and achieved a specific level in their curriculum, they are transitioned to a Faculty Advisor in their program of study. Note: Promise Scholar students work with both a Faculty Advisor and their Promise Scholar Advisor through graduation.
- Undergraduate Students in the Nursing 2 + 2, Degree Completion and Accelerate Programs are assigned to work with a Faculty Advisor from initial enrollment through graduation.
- Graduate Students work with a Faculty Advisor in their discipline from initial enrollment through graduation.
We encourage you to schedule an appointment with your advisor at any time. If you're thinking about changing your major, are confused about program requirements, have run into a problem, or want to double check your course selections for the upcoming semester, please contact us.
If your advisor works within our Advising Office (Professional and Promise Scholar Advisors), they may contact you periodically to meet with them for a specific type of advising appointment. This includes the Best Start meeting (a get-to-know-you conversation for students new to Alverno), the Advising 101 meeting (where we discuss graduation requirements and the tools for tracking your progress), registration planning, graduation planning and academic check-ins.
Generally, we try to meet with our advisees at least once a semester. In some cases (such as with new, struggling, or Promise Scholar students) we'll require additional meetings.
Is something on your mind? Schedule an appointment with your Promise Scholar or Professional Advisor and meet with us via phone, Zoom, or on campus in our offices.
Come See Us
The Advising Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 5:00pm. You can find us in Founders Hall (FO), room 121, across from the cafe.