Global Studies & International Affairs
School of Arts & Sciences | Minor
It’s a big world — and you’re fascinated by all of it. The Global Studies and International Affairs major and minor provide a foundation for understanding a constantly changing world. You’ll learn how to insightfully analyze global culture, world geography and international politics. You’ll also learn about social change, explore the nuances of cross-cultural interactions and diverse perspectives.
Most of all, you’ll be ready to use what you’ve learned to make our world a better place.
The Alverno difference
At Alverno, our small classes mean you’ll receive individualized attention and feedback to help you grow. As a women’s college, we strive to welcome, include and empower all of our students. You’ll create strong relationships with faculty and bond with your peers, and we’ll all cheer you on as you explore new ideas and challenge yourself.
Our classes will give you a strong foundation in global studies and international affairs. You’ll also be encouraged to explore your own interests, including specific nations, cultures and global issues.
Crucially, we connect and apply what we’re learning to the real world. All Alverno students complete at least one internship, and all Global Studies students participate in the American Model United Nations. This four-day nation UN simulation is a great way to demonstrate the abilities you have developed!
As an Alverno global studies student, you will:
- Learn how to analyze a variety of global issues from different perspectives and develop wide-ranging knowledge.
- Conduct independent research to explore the issues, topics and places that interest you the most.
- Dig deeply into a country or region that interest you the most, developing expertise that will set you a part from others.
- Effectively expresses your position on global issues and become engaged in these issues.
Global studies students are ready for careers in:
- Politics and government
- International business
- Non-government organizations
- Education and bilingual education
- Humanitarian relief
- And more!