U.S. News & World Report ranks Alverno College highest in the state in its "Strong Commitment to Teaching" category for the second consecutive year
September 10, 2013
Alverno College was ranked in the top three Midwest schools for its “strong commitment to teaching” in U.S. News & World Report's 2014 America's Best Colleges guidebook. In the four-year history of this category, Alverno College is the only Wisconsin college to receive this recognition in the Midwest Regional standings each year. College presidents, provosts and admissions deans were asked to “identify schools where the faculty have an unusually strong commitment to undergraduate teaching.” This marks the thirteenth consecutive year U.S. News & World Reporthas recognized Alverno in its annual rankings. In addition, Alverno has been listed 30 times in the highly respected U.S. News & World Report standings since 1983.
"It is an incredible honor to be ranked highest in the state for educating undergrads,” said Mary J. Meehan, Ph.D., president of Alverno College. “Our students are our top priority, and there is nothing more important to us than educating the future leaders of our community.”
Alverno College was also recognized for “First Year Experience,” “Learning Communities” and “Senior Capstone,” and was the only Wisconsin college or university listed in “First Year Experience” and “Senior Capstone.” With these rankings, Alverno College is in the company of such prestigious schools as Princeton University, Brown University, Vanderbilt University, Stanford University, Duke University and Yale University.
Overall, Alverno College remained in tier one in the category of Master's granting colleges and universities.
This is the 30th edition of the U.S. News & World Report annual college rankings. The rankings are published in the September issue, in a separate college guidebook, and posted online at usnews.com. The rankings measure up to 15 academic performance indicators for each institution. Quantitative data that assess a college's performance in areas such as graduation and retention rates, faculty resources, financial resources, student selectivity and alumni giving account for 75 percent of a college's score. The other 25 percent is based on a peer assessment survey the magazine sends to top officials at each school asking them to rate the other colleges in the country.
Published on September 10, 2013 | Categories: Newsroom press release