Earning Credits Based on Prior Coursework
Students who are enrolled at Alverno College have an opportunity to earn credits for some introductory courses for which they already have the necessary knowledge. Successfully completing Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) assessments helps students save money and shorten their time to graduation by not having to take some introductory courses.
Students do not have to pay fees to take CPL assessments. Also, students must complete the assessments and receive results before attending their first class. Read the assessment process below.
The following is a list of current CPL assessments. Click the links below for more information about each assessment.
Process for CPL Assessments
- The Registrar’s Office and Advising determine whether students are eligible to complete CPL assessments.
- The Assessment Center notifies eligible students.
- Students review assessment preparation materials online.
- Students contact the center to schedule appointments to take the assessments.
- Students complete the assessments in the center. Students also can complete some assessments online.
- Students must complete and receive results before attending their first class.
- Faculty and/or staff evaluate students’ work. Evaluation usually takes two weeks.
- If students’ work meets criteria, students receive credits for the course.
- If students’ work does not meet criteria, students enroll in the course.
- The center sends results to students and to the Registrar’s Office.
- There is no fee to complete the assessments.