Veteran Educational Benefits

Veterans Benefits

Eligibility for Benefits

Contact the Registrar for policies and procedures related to your Veteran Educational Benefits at 414-382-6370.

Alverno College is approved for the Post 9/11 Yellow Ribbon program, along with other educational programs. In order to qualify, you will need to submit a letter from the Veterans Administration outlining your Certification of Eligibility. Additional support documentation may be needed and could include Forms DD214, 225 or 259, if applicable.

If you served on Active Duty, you might be eligible for education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. For example, the Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for educational and housing expenses to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

If you are currently serving in the military, you may be eligible for funding offered through the Department of Defense Tuition Assistance program. Check your eligibility status and the amount for which you qualify with your Service prior to enrolling.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member who is serving on active duty Title 10 orders in the paygrades of E1-E5, O1-O2, or W1-W2, you may be eligible for financial assistance from the Department of Defense for education, training, and/or the occupational license and credentials necessary for a portable career.

If you are the spouse or child of a service member, you may be eligible for transfer of the service member’s Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to you.

In addition to these Veteran’s benefits, you are eligible to receive federal financial aid.

Individual Education Plan

Your academic evaluation and validation report show your degree requirements needed for graduation. These include general education, major and minor requirements and are available to you in IOL. Contact your advisor to assist you in planning out your sequencing and registration each semester.

United States Armed Services Records/Military Learning and Transfer Credits

Alverno College will evaluate and award credit from the military (Air Force, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy and Department of Defense) by applying current transfer policy to the American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations. At the time of application, students who are or have been members of an armed services branch should have an official Joint Services Transcript (JST) sent to Alverno for review.

Transfer credit policy

In general, courses taken at an institution accredited by a regional or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation in which you have earned a “C” or better are reviewed for transfer.

In addition to course-by-course transfer, Alverno College maintains agreements with the technical and two-year colleges listed in link below, helping you complete your undergraduate degree in the field of your choice.

AP/IB credit policy

For students entering the college directly from high school with AP (Advanced Placement) or IB (International Baccalaureate) coursework, you may earn college-level credits at Alverno. Review the AP/IB chart for more detailed information.

Credit for Prior Learning policy

Previous courses and work sometimes qualify you to take an assessment in an effort to receive credit for a course or a series of courses. If you are notified of this eligibility, you may contact the Assessment Center to complete the assessment. 

Readmission if interrupted due to a Service Obligation

If you need to interrupt or delay your enrollment due to a service obligation, contact the Registrar. The Registrar will work with your instructors, Admissions, Advising, Student Accounts and Financial Aid to ensure that you are promptly readmitted with the same academic status as you had when last attending the school or accepted for admission to the school.