The mission of Alverno Academic Advising Office is to facilitate the educational, personal, and professional development of each student by engaging her in a collaborative process of academic planning through graduation.
Implementing the Mission
- We believe that our central focus is the individual student – her educational, personal and professional development.
- We provide practice for the 8 abilities and reinforce the curriculum, so each student may create it within herself.
- We encourage each student to set goals and make decisions based on consideration of information, alternatives, and personal values.
- We assist each student to explore consequences of her choices and to accept personal responsibility for them.
- We are flexible and creative to accommodate the educational goals of each woman. We promote and support programs to accommodate diverse responsibilities, varied lifestyles and cultural backgrounds.
- We recognize the need to monitor student performance and maintain accurate records as we incorporate an effective balance of “task” and “touch.”
- We act as a reference and referral service with respect to other college support systems.
- We familiarize the student with her academic program, educational requirements and college policies, and help her effectively use technological resources.
- We foster student/college connectedness to aid in student persistence.
- We provide a friendly, open environment which promotes self-exploration, self-awareness and self assessment, thus enhancing a sense of personal identity.
- We believe that all work produced and services offered must reflect high standards of quality.
- We are willing to cross the boundaries of job descriptions in order to support each other.
- We respect each other’s individuality.
- We foster an environment of mutual trust and respect for one another’s contributions and ideas.
- We recognize and acknowledge one another’s efforts and accomplishments.
- We serve as a resource regarding college policies, procedures and academic program requirements.
- We prepare and distribute materials to assist in providing accurate information regarding registration procedures, academic policies and graduation requirements.
- We maintain an on-going in-service training program for all individuals involved in the delivery of academic advisement services.