The Communication Resource Center (CRC)
The CRC provides writing, reading, and speaking assistance on a drop-in and appointment basis in person and online.
The CRC is staffed by academic assistants, nominated to be CRC assistants by faculty because of their success in communication and their ability to work with others. They’ll conference with you and respond to your questions and concerns regarding such areas as prewriting and brainstorming, establishing a thesis statement, developing and organizing ideas, revising, proofreading, and editing. They offer suggestions, but you make the final decisions regarding your assignment.
Located in the Computer Center, room RC 109D, you’ll have access to word processing and other software applications that support writing, speaking and reading processes; you’ll also have access to reserved rooms to practice your presentation.
Tutors in the CRC cannot assist with assessments. You must provide written permission from your faculty to discuss an assessment.
Calendar and Appointments
We are currently making updates tp this page. Please check back at the beginning of the semester for more information.
Need help with APA or Research writing?
"Just the citation please."
- Best (comprehensive, accurate) citation generator for all formats (MLA, APA 7, etc): ZoteroBib https://zbib.org/
"I have my citations for Zbib, but I still have questions."
- Best APA reference: APA Style Blog https://apastyle.apa.org/
- Our library's APA general page (with focus on revisions from APA 6 to APA 7) https://libguides.alverno.edu/apa7
Help with research
- Our library's research writing tutorial: https://libguides.alverno.edu/research
Online CRC Evening Appointments
The Communication Resource Center offers evening online assistance. The CRC assistants use Zoom (Zoom user guide) to conduct online appointments with you that include video, audio, and desktop sharing. You’ll be able to show the CRC assistant your document in Google Docs, Google Slides, Word or your presentation in PowerPoint and discuss it just as though you were sitting next to them in the CRC. Using this software, the CRC assistant can email you a link you will click on to connect to the online meeting. You will need to be sure you have headphones (or ear buds) and a video camera (preferred, but not necessary) attached to your computer to participate in a Zoom online meeting (please see link for equipment requirements below).
Note : If you don't have a webcam (with built-in microphone), you will at least need a separate microphone.
Things to know about requesting an evening online appointment:
- Equipment requirements: At least one day prior to an appointment, check to see if your computer will meet the online requirements (Zoom requirements/meeting details).
Make your appointment:
- Go to student email
- New-Calendar Event, Details: your name
- Location: off campus
- People: CRC.DistanceAppts@alverno.edu
- Scheduling Assistant: enter date & 1 hour time
- We will reply via email to let you know if we can confirm your requested day and time. An information form will be attached in this email; this form must be completed and emailed back before the session.
- Please follow through: Failure to follow through with confirmed online appointments will result in cancellation of online privileges for the remainder of the current semester.
- IMPORTANT! You must have your email open fifteen (15) minutes prior to your appointment time to receive an email from the CRC assistant that will include your link to online assistance.