Registering Your Wireless Devices
Student Tech Links
- Accounts & Passwords
- Adaptive Technology
- Computer Center Support for Students
- LiveText Student Resources
- New Student Orientations
- Residence Hall
- Student Web Server
- Wireless Access on Campus
- Registering Your Wireless Devices
- New Student Computer Access Survey
- Student Tech Links - Alverno College
Registering Your Personal Devices
Students, residents, faculty, or staff who want to use their own wireless devices on the Alverno wireless network to connect to AlvernoSTU or AlvernoEMP, must register those devices using the My Devices Portal. After registering your device, the first time you connect to a network, you will be asked for your Alverno username and password. You should not have to login again unless, your password expires, you tell your device to forget the wireless network, or your device registration expires.
Guests are not allowed to connect to AlvernoSTU or AlvernoEMP. They must obtain a guest wireless account and connect to AlvernoGUEST. AlvernoGUEST users will get prompted for a username and password each time they connect.
MyDevices Portal to register your devices: http://mydevices.alverno.edu
Directions for registering your personal wireless devices on Alverno’s wireless network: Registering Your Personal Wireless Devices
Technology Use Policies: Technology Use Policy
Connect to a wireless network
- AlvernoEMP – faculty and staff connect here
- AlvernoSTU – students connect here
- AlvernoGUEST – anyone with an Alverno guest network id/password *
*Please be aware that if you use the Guest network:
- This is an open network with no security/encryption.
- You are more restricted on the amount of network bandwidth that you can use.
- You will have Internet access only. You will not be able to access anything on the Alverno network unless it is available from the Internet. (For example, OWA, IOL, Moodle and LiveText are accessible from the Internet. You cannot reach resources like the H: drive.)
- This network will work just like the old “Alverno” network. You will have to open a browser after you connect and login to the wireless network authentication page using an Alverno network username/password.
- We strongly encourage you to use AlvernoEMP or AlvernoSTU, not AlvernoGUEST, if you are able. AlvernoGUEST is a less secure and more restrictive network.
- Alverno does not recommend processing credit card transactions on the AlvernoGuest wireless network. The Alverno network may not fully comply with PCI-DSS 3.2 standards.
Register up to five personal devices
If you bring your own wireless devices to campus and connect to the Alverno network, you must comply with the Technology Use Policy.
Please be aware:
- Most Alverno owned wireless devices, like faculty/staff laptops and checkout laptops, will automatically connect to the wireless network. If faculty/staff or students bring their own devices to campus, they will have to be registered in order to connect to the AlvernoEMP or the AlvernoSTU networks.
- You will be able to browse to a web portal to manage your registered devices.
- You can have up to 5 devices registered at one time.
- Registrations are valid unless you delete the device from the portal.
Use this portal to register personal devices that you want to connect to the Alverno wireless network by using a device other than the one you are trying to register.
You will need to log into the My Devices portal using your Alverno network username and password. By using this portal and registering your personal devices, you agree to abide by the terms of the college’s Technology Use Policy.
When you use the portal, please be aware of the following:
- You need to register personal devices that you want to connect to the AlvernoEMP and AlvernoSTU wireless networks. AlvernoGUEST does not require registration since this network only allows Internet access. However, you will need to login with an Alverno username and password.
- When you register a device, you will need to enter that device’s name, wi-fi/wireless MAC address and description.
- If you need help finding your wi-fi/wireless MAC address, please click on this link: Determining Your MAC Address. The document has instructions on how to determine the wireless MAC address on common devices running Windows, Mac OS, iOS, and Android operating systems.
- The Pending state indicates that you are registered. This status will never change.
- When you register a device, you may need to wait a few minutes before the device can connect.
- The portal page will eventually timeout if you do not logout or close the page. The timeout page is shown below. This is not some catastrophic error. It just means you timed out and would have to log back in to use the portal.
If you have trouble using the new networks, please open a ticket with the Service Desk and let us know. Browse to the Alverno Service Desk at https://servicedesk.emp.alverno.edu/CherwellPortal and click on the Information Technology icon. (If prompted, log in as alverno\username).
Or come into the Computer Center on the first floor of the Sr. Joel Read Center during normal business hours. Current Computer Center Calendar