Computer Center Policies
Alverno students, faculty, staff and alumnae may use the computers during Computer Center Hours. Computer Center hours are available online here; copies are also available in the Computer Center. When the Computer Center is open after 10:00 p.m., the following guidelines are in effect:
- After 10:00 p.m. students must enter the RC building through the main entrance. All other doors will be locked
- Students may use the open access lab (RC109B) after 10:00 p.m. The Computer Center classrooms (RC110, RC111, RC109G and RC 109C, D, E and F) will close at 10:00 p.m.
- All Computer Center users are responsible for reading and following the policies outlined in the Alverno College Technology Use Policies
Computer Center computers are available for use on a first-come first-served basis. When demand is high, the following groups will have priority, in the order listed:
- Classes and workshops which have been scheduled with Technology Services staff
- Alverno students and faculty completing coursework which requires work on a specific computer
- Alverno students, faculty and staff doing Alverno-related work
- Alverno students, faculty, staff, and alumnae doing personal work
Community members registered college sponsored classes may use computers during Computer Center Hours for the duration of their enrollment, when computers are available.
Children of Alverno students, faculty and staff are only allowed in the Computer Center with the supervision of an Alverno parent or guardian. Children (pre-school through high school) may use computers when computers are available. The adult must be seated next to the child at all times. If a child becomes loud or disturbs others, the adult and child will be asked to leave. The parent or guardian is responsible for the safety and well-being of the child.
Other community members (including spouses, friends, or relatives of Alverno students, faculty, or staff) may use computers only with special permission from the Director of Technology Services on a short-term basis and when computers are available. Computer Center patrons may be required to provide valid Alverno identification to the lab assistant on duty to obtain access to a computer.
- Each registered student receives a 400-page printing balance at the beginning of each semester. Additional pages may be purchased if needed. Unused pages are not refunded or transferred at the end of the semester. Instead, students receive another 400 free pages at the start of the next semester
- Only Computer Center paper may be used
- Computer Center users are expected to maintain a good working environment (clean and moderately quiet) in the Computer Center
- Food is not allowed in the Computer Center. Beverages are allowed in spill-proof containers only
- Cell phones must be turned off or set on vibrate; if Computer Center users must take a call, they are expected to leave the lab to talk
Software and Copyright
- Computer equipment in the Computer Center may not be used for duplicating copyrighted materials
Questions about Computer Center policies may be directed to Anita Eikens, Executive Director of Information Technology, Ext. 6343.