The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Advisory Council (DEIC) seeks to transform the Alverno community into an environment where people of all identities and experiences feel embraced, respected, and treated equitably.
Alverno College is honored to educate the most highly diverse private college student population in Wisconsin. We welcome all to our learning community with heart and the best of intentions, helping each person feel a strong sense of belonging here. At the same time, no community is perfect – no community is without its missteps or mistakes when it comes to respect and inclusion. All of us, majority and minority people, have more work to do, in terms of learning about human differences.
The DEIC Advisory Council is comprised of faculty and staff who are passionate about social justice. Some of us are members of marginalized communities and some of us are allies in the quest for equality. We meet monthly throughout the academic year on the 3rd Thursday of the month in RC 102E (Alum Hall). Topics explored and acted upon have included:
- development of the Campus Commitment to Inclusion statement and revision of the College Nondiscrimination Statement
- formation of our policy and protocols supporting transgender student admission and matriculation
- creation of Alverno’s first Bias Response Policy and Protocol
- advocacy for additional campus climate items on the Fall 2018 Student Satisfaction Survey
- providing ongoing support for DACA and Undocumented students and their families
- holding numerous campus listening sessions or open forums about local, national and international incidents of incivility and violence
We look forward to the new academic year ahead and welcome interested students to join us! To learn more, visitwww.alverno.edu/campuslife/studentaffairs/civility or email email@example.com.