Computer Center Policies
Alverno students, faculty and staff may use the computers during Computer Center Hours. Alumna may use the Computer Center when it is open AND when the Read Center is not locked. Computer Center hours are available on the Alverno website; copies are also available in the Computer Center. All Computer Center users are responsible for reading and following the policies outlined in the Alverno College Technology Use Policies.
Computer Center computers are available for use on a first-come first-served basis. When demand is high, the following groups will have priority, in the order listed:
- Classes and workshops which have been scheduled with Technology Services staff.
- Alverno students and faculty completing coursework which requires work on a specific computer.
- Alverno students, faculty and staff doing Alverno-related work.
- Alverno students, faculty, staff, and alumnae doing personal work.
Community members registered for college-sponsored classes may use computers during Computer Center Hours for the duration of their enrollment, when computers are available.
Children of Alverno students, faculty and staff are only allowed in the Computer Center with the supervision of an Alverno parent or guardian. Children (pre-school through high school) may use computers when computers are available. The adult must be seated next to the child at all times. If a child becomes loud or disturbs others, the adult and child will be asked to leave. The parent or guardian is responsible for the safety and well-being of the child.
Other community members (including spouses, friends, or relatives of Alverno students, faculty, or staff) may use computers only with special permission from the Director of Technology Services on a short-term basis and when computers are available. Computer Center patrons may be required to provide valid Alverno identification to the lab assistant on duty to obtain access to a computer.
- Each registered student receives a 400-page printing balance at the beginning of each semester. Additional pages may be purchased if needed. Unused pages are not refunded or transferred at the end of the semester. Instead, students receive another 400 free pages at the start of the next semester.
- Only Computer Center paper may be used in our printers.
- Computer Center users are expected to maintain a good working environment (clean and moderately quiet) in the Computer Center
- Food is not allowed in the Computer Center. Beverages are allowed in spill-proof containers only.
- Cell phones must be turned off or set on vibrate; if Computer Center users must take a call, they are expected to leave the lab to talk.
Software and Copyright
- Computer equipment in the Computer Center may not be used for duplicating copyrighted materials.
Questions about Computer Center policies may be directed to Cathy Herrmann, Director of Technology Services.
Revised /approved by Technology Steering Committee on June 8, 2023