Working together, even when apart
Alverno is here for you during this challenging time. Whether you're a current student
or a prospective one, a faculty or a staff member, a parent or an alumna, we're all
navigating this together. And we're doing it the best way we know how — in #AlvernoStrong fashion.
Coronavirus Information HomeOnline Library ResourcesStudent Resources
Prospective StudentsStudent FAQFaculty FAQStaff FAQ
Students are strongly discouraged from coming to campus. This will help to minimize the potential for transmission of
the COVID-19 virus.
Current Student FAQs
Please find answers to your most common questions below. If you have a question that
isn’t addressed here, please contact Student Affairs at (414) 382-6118 during regular
business hours or email firstname.lastname@example.org anytime.
FAQ QUICK LINKS:
LEARNING - RESIDENT STUDENTS - CAMPUS FACILITIES AND SERVICES - EVENTS - FINANCIAL
How will teaching and learnning continue?
I don’t have access to a computer for this shift to online learning. What should I
- A laptop loaner process for faculty and students will be ready soon. These options
are limited, so we ask that you try every other avenue of securing access to a computer
with Internet before making this request.
What’s happening with my internship, clinical or field work?
- Student on-site internships are suspended through April 14, subject to extension.
Students may continue their internships ONLY if they are able to do so remotely. The
internship office will contact mentors and students with further details.
Will assessments happen?
- There will be no Mid-Semester assessments during the week of March 23. Faculty will inform students of plans for mid-semester
assessments, which will be conducted within the course schedule beginning on or after
the week of March 30.
- Social Interaction Assessments will be scheduled during Final Assessment Week. Rosland Briggs-Gammon, Alverno assessment
coordinator, will communicate the details to students.
If my short-term study abroad trip is canceled, does that mean the entire course is
- No, these courses will continue. The respective instructors will let you know how
this cancellation will impact course assignments/requirements.
Is course registration for this summer and next fall affected by the current situation?
- Registration is proceeding as scheduled. The course offering book is live. Advisors
can be reached electronically for appointments. See your IOL message for your registration
What if I need tutoring during this time?
- The Instructional Services office in Founders Hall (FO) 405 is open from 8 a.m.-5
p.m. Monday through Thursday.
- The Soref Center and the Communication Resource Center (CRC) will open for virtual
tutoring beginning Monday, March 23. These online appointments will use Zoom.
- The CRC will support communication needs for any course from 6-9 p.m. on Tuesdays,
Wednesdays and Thursdays. Schedule an appointment here: http://tinyurl/CRCenter
- The Soref Center will support QL 122, QL 156, SC 119, and CH 213. Appointments are
available Mondays 12-2 p.m., Tuesdays 1-3 p.m. and 4-6 p.m., Wednesdays 4-6 p.m. and
7-9 p.m., and Thursdays 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Schedule an appointment here: http://tinyurl.com/SorefCenter.
What if my class is meeting online at a specific time and I live in a different timezone?
- Please discuss this with your instructor.
Back to top
Can all residence hall students remain in the halls during this time?
- No, residence hall students are asked to go home or elsewhere. Permission to remain
in the residence halls is required through Ann Romei. See your email for instructions
What on-campus dining options available for residents remaining on campus?
- Students will be able to order items from Hudson’s. A list will be shared by the Dining
Services Staff shortly in regards to what will be available for purchase. Most, if
not all of it, will require that the student cook the items themselves. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Will the few residence hall students who are staying on campus have access to their
- Yes, Alverno Mail Services will remain open during its regularly scheduled hours.
Delivery to residence hall mailboxes will be done on these days as well.
If I still have belongings in my res hall room but have not been able to come back
for them, will they be discarded?
- No, we will work with you to retrieve your belongings later in the semester or early
summer. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. We will not discard student belongings!
Will resident students receive a room and board refund?
- The Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (WAICU) is investigating
this question on behalf of all private colleges. We will follow up with Alverno’s
plan as quickly as possible. There is no need to feel compelled to spend down your
meal plan dollars right now; however, dining services is available should you want
to make some bulk-type purchases. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Back to top
CAMPUS FACILITIES AND SERVICES
I’m a student employee at Alverno and WANT to keep working or DON’T WANT to keep working
during this time.
- Students who work on campus are excused from work during this extended break; however,
student employees who would like to work may do so. Students should contact their
Are places like the Library and Computer Lab still open?
- The Computer Center will be open Monday, March 23 through Thursday, March 26, from
8 a.m.-8 p.m. and on Friday, March 27, from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. For the time being, there
are no weekend hours available.
- The Library will be closed as of Saturday, March 21.
What are the A-Store hours?
Are campus offices open during this time if I am unable or unfamiliar to use technology
to take care of Alverno business?
- Currently, primary student serving offices are open Monday through Thursday from 8:30
a.m.-5 p.m. with very limited staffing. We strongly discourage students from coming
to campus; however, if you must do so, please call ahead to let us know.
Is the Early Learning Center open?
- As of March 19, the Early Learning Center remains open.
Is the campus food pantry open?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help.
Back to top
Will commencement be canceled or postponed?
- Commencement and other related ceremonies (Grad Finale, Latinas Con Fuerza, Bestowing
of the Kente, Asian Rites, and Baccalaureate) are still being planned for regularly
scheduled May dates. However, recommendations from the CDC and WHO are being monitored
on a daily basis, and the Alverno leadership team is continually evaluating future
events and making the best decisions for the safety and health of the Alverno community. Any
updates will be posted on the Graduation Moodle page, as well as through campus email
Is the Athletics Recognition event on May 9 canceled?
- At this time, we are moving forward with plans for this and other end-of-year celebrations
in May. If this changes, we’ll let students know as quickly as possible.
Back to top
Is there financial assistance available for travel back home?
- Students can still apply for emergency loan funds. Student Affairs has also compiled
a list of airline and car rental resources that are offering discounted rates for
Are emergency loans still possible?
- Student Affairs will remain available to talk with students about emergency loan possibilities. Please
email email@example.com to schedule a phone call or Zoom meeting.
I have an outstanding emergency loan that is holding up my registration. What should
- We strongly encourage students to make their emergency loan payments to the student
accounts office online. We recognize this may not be possible given the current situation,
thus we have removed the holds for this one semester. Holds will be replaced in June
for any remaining outstanding balances.
Will I get a refund for my study abroad trip that was canceled?
- We are working with our travel partners to determine a plan for short-term study abroad
refunds. Some of our deposits and payments will not be refunded by travel partners
and some will; therefore, it will take us a bit longer to finalize our plan. We will
get back in touch with students registered for these trips as quickly as possible.
Back to top