Missing Resident Policy
- Welcome from the Director of Campus Safety
- Access to Campus Facilities
- Annual Crime and Fire Safety Reports
- Blue Light Phones
- Campus Policies
- Department Mission
- Emergency Communication
- Emergency Procedures
- General Information and Safety Tips
- Identity Theft
- Parking Regulations
- Programs Offered by Campus Safety
- Reporting an Incident
- Residence Hall Fire Safety
- Safety and Crime Alerts
- Department of Campus Safety
In compliance with the Higher Education Opportunity Act, “Missing Student Notification Policy”, it is the policy of the Office of Residence Life to actively investigate any report of a missing resident who is enrolled at the College and residing in on-campus housing. For purposes of this policy, a student may be considered to be a “missing person” if the person’s absence is contrary to her usual pattern of behavior and possible unusual circumstances may have caused the absence. Such circumstances could include, but are not limited to, a report or suspicion that the missing person may be the victim of foul play, has expressed suicidal thoughts, is in a life-threatening situation, or has been with persons who may endanger the student’s welfare.
Each resident will be notified of the Missing Student Notification Policy and procedures via the Residence Life Handbook. Each resident, upon checking into her assigned room, is requested to complete the Residence Life Emergency Information Card to identify the name and contact number of the individual(s), both primary and secondary, to be contacted in case of an emergency or in the event that the resident is reported missing. If a member of the College community has reason to believe that a student is missing, Alverno College Safety & Security should be notified. Upon receiving notification, Campus Safety, Residence Life and other applicable college personnel will make reasonable efforts to locate the student to determine her state of health and well-being. These efforts include, but are not limited to, checking the resident’s room, class schedule, friends, ID card access, locating the resident’s vehicle, and calling her reported cell phone number. As part of the investigation, the College reserves the right to make contact with emergency contacts to help determine the whereabouts of the resident. If, upon investigation by Campus Safety and Residence Life Staff, the resident has been determined to be missing for at least 24 hours, the following will occur:
- The Assistant Dean of Students or college representative will contact the resident’s designated emergency contact.
- A representative from Alverno College Campus Safety will inform the appropriate law enforcement agency within the next 24 hours. Investigation will continue in collaboration with law enforcement officers as appropriate.
- If neither form nor contact with these designees is not made available to the College staff, the student’s nearest relative according to their official application will be contacted.
- If the student is under the age of 18 and not an emancipated individual, the College will notify the custodial parent or guardian no later than 24 hours after that individual is determined to be missing.
If subsequent investigation by Campus Safety or Residence Life staff (or College designee) determines that any student has been missing for over 24 hours, the College will immediately contact the student’s emergency contact. If the student is under 18 years of age, immediately contact the custodial parent or legal guardian of such student, or if the student has not made these contacts available to the College staff, the student’s nearest relative according to their official application will be contacted.Campus Policies >