Overview of Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) Process
Students can seek CPL for some courses by demonstrating that their knowledge gained
outside the classroom meets learning outcomes for those courses. The process to earn CPL includes the steps below. This process does not apply to CPL
Submit Student Interest Form
- Complete and submit the Student Interest Form below to the Assessment and Outreach
- When the AOC receives a completed Student Interest Form, a CPL coach will:
- Contact the student to gather more information such as a resume and/or list of courses
the student thinks will fit her/his experience.
- Ask faculty for a decision regarding eligibility of the student to pursue CPL.
Establish the Assessment Criteria
- If faculty agrees that the student should pursue CPL, faculty will determine the criteria
for and the form of assessment that should be pursued by the student (e.g., portfolio
assessment, course assessment or experiential essay).
- Once faculty provide the requirements for the assessment, a CPL coach begins working
more specifically with the student. (In a few special cases, faculty will work directly
students.) The coach will meet with the student to:
- Explain the assessment process.
- Help the student create an action plan, including a timeline for submitting work.
- Provide appropriate resources for the student.
- Assist the student, as needed, during the time the student is working to complete
the assessment via the method determined by faculty.
Evaluate Student's Work
Once the student submits work for review, the CPL coach helps the student determine
whether the work is in an appropriate form to be submitted for evaluation. If so,
the coach submits the work to the faculty evaluator (unless the student is working directly with faculty).
- Faculty will:
- Assess student work to determine if the student has earned credits. (Faculty members
also can request revisions.)
- Complete an Assessor Evaluation Form that contains outcomes, criteria, feedback, and
results, and submit it to the AOC with appropriate portions of student work, especially
the experiential essay.
- The CPL coach will communicate the results to the student and to the Registrar’s Office.
The Coach also will send information about CPL fees to Student Accounts.
Fees for Credit for Prior Learning
$150 per portfolio submitted (a portfolio includes documentation to
support an experiential essay)
$75 for an experiential essay assessment or internal performance assessment
No fee Credit for Prior Learning Bypass assessments
Read Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Online contact and registration forms from Wufoo