Psychology is the study of behavior and mental processes. At Alverno, we use an experimental approach in the study of psychology, because first-hand experience helps you to develop the kind of understanding that characterizes the competent professional in psychology.
Students majoring in psychology at Alverno will gain proficiency in:
- Theoretical Reasoning - to construct plausible psychological explanations for complex human behavior relying on reasoning and evidence
- Methodological Proficiency - to solve problems of human experience, using and evaluating a variety of methods
- Professional Interaction - to interact and communicate with people in a variety of professional contexts, including collaborating on research teams, assisting others in resolving life challenges, and presenting research conclusions in oral and written formats
- Self-Reflection - to be self-directed in using the tools of meta-cognition to accurately discern the quality of her own performance in academic, professional, personal and civic settings
- Ethical Insight and Action - to respond to the needs of others with sensitivity to various perspectives, including cultural, national, economic, and spiritual differences; to act interpersonally and in working with groups with integrity, initiative and vision in relationship to the APA Code of Ethics and the APA Guidelines for Service Diverse Populations.