Neurologic Music Therapy Training Institute: June 13 - 16, 2018
- Music Minors/Supports
- Careers & Internships
- Faculty & Staff
- Contact Us
- Inside the Classroom
- Learning Outcomes
- Music Department Event Calendar 2019 - 2020
- Music Department Handbook
- Music Therapy Student Handbook
- Concert Report Document Sheet
- Health & Safety
R.F. Unkefer Academy for Neurologic Music Therapy:
International Neurologic Music Therapy Training Institute
For music therapists, allied health professionals, rehabilitation and neurologic rehabilitation professionals, and students who are interested in gaining a deeper understanding of neurologic music therapy (NMT) methodology and techniques.
Dates: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 - Saturday, June 16, 2018
Time of Training: June 13-15, 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.; June 16, 9 a.m. -1 p.m.
Early-Bird Fees until 5/11; $25 additional charge for registrations received after 5/11
Professional: $650 / $675
Training Re-take: $450 / $475
Students: $400 / $425
Online registration can be accesed by clicking here.
Neurologic Music Therapy is defined as the therapeutic application of music to cognitive, sensory, and motor function due to neurologic disease of the human nervous system. Neurologic Music Therapy is research-based. Its treatment techniques are built upon the scientific knowledge and production and the effects thereof on non musical brain and behavior functions. Populations served by Neurologic Music Therapists include but are not limited to: stroke, traumatic brain injury, Parkinson's, and Huntington’s disease, cerebral palsy, Alzheimer’s disease, autism, and other diseases affecting cognition, movement, and communication. The 4 day, 30 hour workshop will provide advanced clinical training and scientific knowledge in the field of NMT.
- Scientific Foundations of NMT
- Neuropathology / Disease Review
- Sensorimotor Techniques
- Rhythmic Auditory Stimulation
- Patterned Sensory Enhancement
- Therapeutic Instrument Playing
- Speech and Language Techniques
- Melodic Intonation Therapy
- Musical Speech Stimulation
- Rhythmic Speech Cueing
- Vocal Intonation Therapy
- Therapeutic Singing
- Oral Motor and Respiratory Exercises
- Developmental Speech and Language Training through Music
- Symbolic Communication Training through Music
- Cognitive Techniques
- Music Neglect Training
- Auditory Perception Training
- Musical Attention Control Training
- Musical Mnemonics Training, Associative Mood and Memory Training
- Music Psychosocial Training
Upon completion of this course, participants will:
- Be able to demonstrate a basic definition and introductory knowledge about neurologic music therapy (NMT), including taxonomy of techniques used in NMT;
- Demonstrate an increased knowledge of current research supporting NMT techniques
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of the Transformational Design Model; a model to assist in treatment selection based on functional goals
- Identify current clinical assessments that can be used by NMT’s for treatment evaluation
- Be able to answer basic neuroanatomy and pathology questions related to a variety of neurologic disorders
- Upon successful completion of this course an d a written test, a certificate of completion in advanced Neurologic Music Therapy training will be issued by the Robert F. Unkefer Academy for Neurologic Music Therapy. Completion of the NMT training allows the board-certified music therapist to practice and use the advanced designation of Neurologic Music Therapist for three years. This training is open to other students and professionals outside of the field of music therapy; however, completion of the NMT training does NOT allow one to practice outside their professional licensure/training/certification. There are not required prerequisites to take this training.
Training begins promptly at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, June 13, please make sure your travel arrangements allow you adequate time to get to/from the airport. Your successful completion certifying your attendance and NMT designation require attendance in its entirety.
A limited amount of dorm style accommodations are available through reservation through Alverno College. The cost is $60/night. Please click here to reserve a room on campus.
$135 per night plus taxes and fees
Reserve a room at the Fairfield Inn by clicking here.
Parking: Park in lot E of Alverno College, there is an ample size lot for all participants.
Refunds, less a 50% charge, will be granted if cancellation notice is received in writing no later than 14 calendar days prior to the course. If you register, attend part, or do not fulfill the requirements of the class, your course fee will not be refunded. Cancellation of the event by Alverno College will result in a full refund of monies received by the college. Alverno College is not responsible for the refund of travel, hotel, or any other expenses under any circumstances. Alverno College reserves the right to cancel or change any programs for due cause. In the event of a cancellation, registrants will be notified via email and contact phone number submitted in the registration.