Graduate Nursing: MSN
Joann McGrath School of Nursing Graduate Program
An Alverno College graduate degree is not just another credential, but a relevant and rewarding experience that you can apply in your career and your life. Rather than merely learning information, you will be challenged to use what you're learning. Alverno's unique approach focuses on outcomes in which we measure how you perform, not how well you do on a test. Our programs integrate the core skills of your profession into every course. And our approach focuses on relevant, experiential, active learning that replicates professional or real-world scenarios.
You will get individualized feedback from faculty with relevant work experience. We have internationally recognized teaching methods and outstanding faculty known for their rigorous academic standards, their integration of theory into practice and emphasis on strong ethics and core values. Throughout our program, you will benefit from all those who preceded you - graduates and professionals who have helped create a demand throughout Milwaukee and across the country specifically for Alverno-trained individuals.
Alverno's master's programs are attended by a diverse group of motivated, passionate women and men who also want to learn from one another in a challenging but rewarding environment - one that duplicates the real world.
As much as we are about helping you achieve your individual power, we are about the power of collaboration and a strong community. Our curriculum is based on interpersonal skills and building leaders who don't stand alone, but engage with others. Our class structure is built to facilitate on-the-job situations that teach from experience. And our rich, diverse community encourages a global perspective. In other words, our goal is to help you become a well-rounded, sought-after professional whose experience is expanded and deepened.
We also know that you lead a very busy life and your time is precious. That's why Alverno offers its master's degrees in nursing in an every-other weekend schedule, eight weekends a semester. Faculty members are accessible because they understand the challenges of your busy lifestyle. You will find that although an Alverno graduate degree is rigorous, it is also reasonable, accommodating and highly rewarding.
Lastly, we recognize that our students are professionals, with experiences that should count for something. We challenge you to bring your experiences into the classroom, engage with your colleagues, and participate in building a rich, learning environment.
Graduate Nursing Programs Available
|Masters of Science in Nursing||Post Master's Certificates||Doctorate in Nursing Practice|
MSN-Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
MSN-Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
MSN-Psychological Mental Health
Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP)
Psychological Mental Health
Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP)
Doctorate in Nursing Practice (DNP)
Graduate Nursing Program Learning Outcomes
The outcomes of the graduate curriculum are that the graduate will:
- Exhibit mastery of communication skills in multiple modes to build crucial inter-professional team relationships that promote collaboration to ensure safe and effective outcomes.
- Provide holistic, patient-focused, evidence-based care in the role of an advanced practice nurse.
- Evaluate and apply informatics using current and evolving technology to facilitate and enhance optimal clinical care and organizational decision-making.
- Skillfully engage in collaborative and trans-disciplinary leadership to (re)construct strategies for innovative and transformative change in complex healthcare settings.
- Synthesize current and emerging science and theory to design ethical and cost-effective
approaches to care that consider the uniqueness of individuals, families, communities
Learning never stops. And knowledge is only useful if you know how to apply it. That’s why we offer post-baccalaureate licensure and certificate programs that are individualized and focused on your career and personal goals.
Gainful Employment Program Disclosures
- Administrative Leadership (Graduate License)
- Administrative Leadership/Instructional Leadership
- Adult Education & Organizational Development Certificate
- Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Family Nurse Practitioner Certificate
- Instructional Leadership (Graduate License)
- Nurse Educator Certificate
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (Graduate)
Graduate Nursing Program Leaders
Karin Wasiullah DNP, MSN, RN, APRN, FNP-C
Associate Dean of Graduate Nursing Studies
Joanne Archer MSN, RN, APRN BC-ADM
Clinical Nurse Specialist Program Coordinator
Luanne Wielichowski MSN, RN, APRN, FNP-BC
Professor, FNP Program Director
Richardo Broach MS, MSN, RN, PMHNP-BC, APNP
Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Program Director
CORE COURSES (CNS, FNP, PMHNP)
- Nursing Inquiry
- Healthcare Systems
- Advanced Practice Roles & Theory
- Ethics in Advanced Practice
- Population-based Health
- Advanced Physiology & Pathophysiology
- Advanced Health & Physical Assessment
- Advanced Pharmacotherapeutics
- Capstone 1
- Capstone 2
Additional courses for cns
- Theory & Practicum 1: Individuals & Populations
- Theory & Practicum 2: Program Development and Evaluation
- Theory & Practicum 3: Leadership for Systems Improvement
Additional courses for FNP
- Theory & Practicum 1: Advanced Primary Care Management of Middle-Aged & Older Adults
- Theory & Practicum 2: Advanced Primary Care Management of Women & Children
- Theory & Practicum 3: Advanced Primary Care Management of Vulnerable Populations
Additional courses for pmhnp
- Helping Relations
- Advanced Psychopharmacology
- Theory & Practicum 1: Advanced Mental Health Management of Adults
- Theory & Practicum 2: Advanced Mental Health Management of Children, Adolescents & Geriatric Populations
- Theory & Practicum 3: Advanced Mental Health Management of the Seriously Ill and Substance Addicted Populations
Alverno is fully accredited through the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), the only agency devoted exclusively to accrediting baccalaureate and higher degree nursing education. Alverno has been granted the maximum 10-year accreditation period, extending from December 2009 through December 2019.
The JoAnn McGrath School of Nursing is also approved by the Wisconsin Board of Nursing. Alverno College maintains continuous accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.