Residence Hall Network Connections
Students living in the residence halls may connect their own personal electronic device(s) to the Alverno network via wired Ethernet ports and/or wireless adapters. In order to get connected, resident students will need to register their personal devices (wired and wireless). Here’s how:
- For a wired connection, verify that your device has an Ethernet port or an Ethernet adapter that plugs into a USB port. You will also need an Ethernet patch cable.
- For a wireless connection, verify that your device has Wi-Fi capabilities.
- Install and regularly update antivirus software on your device.
- Install all operating system updates from the device manufacturer or your service provider, e.g., Windows updates from Microsoft.
- Register your personal device adapter addresses on Alverno’s MyDevices Portal. You can register up to five (5) addresses total. NOTE: If you intend to use a device on the wireless network and on your room’s Ethernet jack, both adapter addresses must be registered and count as two of your five registrations.
To register your personal device addresses, follow these steps in order:
- Determine the hardware address(es) of your device(s)’ wired Ethernet and/or wireless adapters.
- For devices with a wired Ethernet port that you plug a network cable into, this address is usually known as a MAC address.
- For wireless devices, this address is usually known as your Wi-Fi address. See Determining your MAC or Wi-Fi address for instructions.
- Write down the device name, MAC/Wi-Fi address, and a device description for each hardware address you want to register. For example, if you have a Dell laptop, your device name might be Jennifer’s laptop, and your device description might be Dell Inspiron 3000.
- Go to the computer lab in your residence hall, and log into a computer with your Alverno username and password.
- Open a browser and go to http://mydevices.alverno.edu. Complete the registration forms for each device you’d like to connect. See Connecting Your Personal Devices to Alverno's Wireless Network for instructions.
- Non-registered devices won’t be able to connect to the campus network.
- This registration replaces the old Res Hall Connection form you used to complete through the Alverno Service Desk system to keep the wired Ethernet jacks in your room turned on. From now on, you’ll only need to register your wired devices to get the jacks in your room to work.