Computing from Home
Users in the “Staff” VPN group can connect to the Alverno network at any time. You are no longer required to login between the hours of 7:00 am and 10:00 pm Central Time.
- Please be aware that Technology Services runs data backup jobs every night. Files that are “in use” or open during backups are skipped and cannot be restored. We suggest you make copies of files that you will be working on and copy them back to shared drives when you are done. Otherwise your open files may not get backed up.
- There will be times when VPN will not be available. VPN is included when network downtime is announced, for example during the monthly shutdowns.
- Do not leave your VPN session open longer than necessary. A limited number of people are allowed to connect to the VPN at one time, so please disconnect when you are not using the connection.
Microsoft Lync 2013 features
- Create, moderate, and join pre-planned and/or on-the-fly audio, video, and web meetings with people inside and outside your organization.
- Enhance online presentations with screen-sharing and virtual whiteboards.
- Let others participate in your Lync conference calls even if they are not Office 365 or Lync Online customers.
- Make voice calls through your computer to other Lync or Skype users in your organization or in other organizations that use Lync or Skype.
- Get real-time presence information—including photos, availability status, and location—and enhanced instant messaging (IM) to connect efficiently and effectively.
Microsoft Office 365 OneDrive for Business
Faculty and staff have access to 25GB of cloud storage space through Microsoft Office365 Onedrive for Business (formerly SkyDrive Pro) using their Alverno network account name and password.