Alverno College is ranked number one on the list of “Most Innovative Schools” among Regional Universities in U.S. News & World Report’s 2016 America’s Best Colleges guidebook. Colleges in this new category are recognized for“making the most innovative improvements in terms of curriculum, faculty, students, campus life, technology or facilities.”
Alverno College is also ranked in the top five Midwest Regional Universities for its “strong commitment to teaching.” In the six-year history of this category, Alverno is the only Wisconsin college to receive this recognition in the Midwest Regional standings each year. College presidents, provosts and admissions deans were asked to “identify schools where the faculty have an unusually strong commitment to undergraduate teaching.” This marks the fifteenth consecutive year U.S. News & World Report has recognized Alverno in its annual rankings.
“Our reputation for excellence in undergraduate education has always been a source of great pride for us,” said Mary J. Meehan, Ph.D., president of Alverno College. “What’s especially satisfying is to see the innovative and creative work of our dedicated faculty recognized as well as our efforts to provide a campus environment that mirrors the quality of our teaching.”
Alverno College was also recognized for “Ethnic Diversity.” Schools nominated in this category are recognized as colleges where students are most likely to encounter undergraduates from a different ethnic group than their own.
With these rankings, Alverno College is in the company of such prestigious schools as Princeton University, Brown University, Vanderbilt University, Stanford University, and Yale University.
Overall, Alverno College remained in tier one in the category of Master’s granting colleges and universities.
This is the 31st edition of the U.S. News & World Report annual college rankings. The rankings are published in the September issue, in a separate college guidebook, and posted online at usnews.com.The rankings measure up to 16 academic performance indicators for each institution.Quantitative data that assess a college’s performance in areas such as graduation and retention rates, faculty resources, financial resources, student selectivity and alumni giving account for 77.5 percent of a college’s score. The other 22.5 percent is based on a peer assessment survey the magazine sends to top officials at each school asking them to rate the other colleges in the country.
Starting college can be a stressful time for students and parents alike. Wendy Powers, associate vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students, appeared on The Morning Blend to share some tips to help make the transition to college a little easier.
Alverno College is launching a new hybrid degree program that blends online and in-class learning, designed to be a more flexible option for working women. The program includes three majors and will launch in the fall of 2015. What sets this program apart is the focus on innovative leadership.
“The world needs more strong, educated female leaders,” said Jill Moore, academic director for adult programs. “That’s why we’re building an emphasis on leadership into these classes. Our students will graduate with the skills they need to be effective leaders in any career environment.”
The program offers three majors – business, liberal studies and communication. Classes will meet weekly on Wednesday evenings and will include significant online work. Two eight-week sessions will be offered each semester, and students can take up to two four-credit courses per eight week session for a total of 16 credits per semester. This means a full time student who takes classes in the summer can complete a four-year degree in just three years. “This program is really flexible, and it allows students to take as many or as few credits as they want,” said Laura Sear, administrative director of adult and academic excellence programs. “Even someone with multiple demands of their time can complete a degree.” Financial aid is available for students who take a minimum of eight credits each semester.
For more information on the new flexible education degree program, call the Alverno College admissions office at (414) 382-6100 or visit alverno.edu/adult.
Alverno will launch a new communication degree program in the fall of 2015. While developing the curriculum, faculty consulted with several local experts working in various communications fields including public relations, marketing, advertising and digital strategy.
Alverno College President Mary Meehan announced she will step down at the end of the 2015/2016 academic year. In her 11-year tenure she has led the college through many changes including campus enhancements, expanded academic offerings and increased student services.