Master of Science in Nursing
- Graduate Admissions
- The Program
- Admission Requirements
- Application Procedures
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Clinical Nurse Specialist/Nurse Educator
- Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner
You have a passion for helping others. This is one thing you need to do for yourself.
Alverno College has always known what makes a nurse special. You are inspired by science and technology and individuals and communities who need care and expertise. You are motivated by a new birth, a kind word or a chance to save someone’s life.
We have been helping people like you advance the profession of nursing for more than 80 years.
Open to men and women, we offer two tracks to choose from within the MSN program:
The Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) prepares you to work with the whole population, from infants to the elderly.
As a Mental Health Nurse Practitioner, (MHNP) you will take your career to a whole new level: providing primary care to those with mental health disorders through your advanced clinical practice.
The Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)/Nurse Educator track uses an integrated curriculum focusing on the new demands of an aging population.
Our MSN graduates feel confident in a range of career options from leading change in a healthcare facility, teaching in a variety of settings - including undergraduate, master's and community-based programs - to seeing patients, making clinical decisions and diagnoses, and prescribing medications.
Our program gives you the opportunity for an in-depth study of advanced practice nursing with today’s complex health care systems; the nature of human development in social, cultural and practical or experiential contexts; and the processes of practice-based inquiry.
Throughout your program, you will complete practicum hours spread across the duration of the curriculum, which allows you the opportunity to use the skills as you learn about them in the classroom.
- 660 practicum hours required
- After completing the FNP program, you may be eligible for the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Family Nurse Practitioner certification exam.
- 42 credits required
- 665 practicum hours required
- After completing the MHNP program, you may be eligible for the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) Family Nurse Practitioner certification exam.
- 500 practicum hours required
- After completing the CNS/Nurse Educator program, you may be eligible for the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) clinical nurse specialist exam in Adult Health.
In order to earn an Alverno MSN you will be expected to:
- Assume leadership
- Collaborate with, coordinate and manage
- Communicate effectively
- Integrate nursing science and learning theory
- Synthesize inquiry processes and learning approaches
An Alverno education is about realizing your potential and making a difference -- every day for the rest of your life. Realizing your potential starts here.