- Graduate Admissions
- The Program
- Admission Requirements
- Application Procedures
- Special Education Certification
Applying is easy! You may apply online for free.
- Three recommendations
- Official transcripts showing a baccalaureate or advanced degree
- Portfolio (requirements listed below)*
- Copy of teaching licenses held
- Passing score on Praxis I (those seeking initial teaching certification only)
- Criminal background check (those seeking initial teaching certification only)
*Not required for DPI license only
Philosophy and Goal Statement
Please respond to the following questions in a typewritten format that does not exceed a total of 500 words.
What is your philosophy of education and how does it/will it guide your work as an educator (in K-12 schools or organizational settings), instructional designer (in organizational or educational settings) and as a learner?
What are your goals for improving your reflective practice and how does your participation in a master's/licensure program fit with those goals?
In evaluating your response, the Admissions Committee will use the following criteria:
- Does the applicant clearly state his or her beliefs, values and goals related to learning?
- Does the applicant provide clear examples of his or her philosophy of learning?
- Does the applicant indicate an ability to assess his or her own professional practice?
- Does the applicant recognize his or her own strengths and areas to develop as a learner?
For Those Seeking Initial Licensure:
- Does the applicant clearly state his or her beliefs about teaching and learning?
- Does the applicant provide at least one clear example of what a classroom or learning would look like based on your beliefs about teaching and learning?
- Does the applicant state how his or her beliefs about teaching and learning align with his or her experience as a student?
- Does the applicant recognize his or her own teaching and learning strengths and areas to develop as an educator?
- Does the applicant write clearly and include the use of correct spelling, punctuation and grammar?
Communication Samples from Work Setting
As a demonstration of your ability to engage in effective practice in a professional setting, please submit two to five samples of communication, written or oral, that you've produced for use in your work, e.g., memos or other correspondence, training plans and materials, course plans and materials, grant proposals, feedback to students or participants, videos or presentations, publications and promotional materials. For each sample, attach a half sheet with information about the context of the sample and why your chose it.
In evaluating your communication samples, the Admissions Committee will use the following criteria:
- Do the samples reflect a range of communication settings?
- Do they express clear and effective relationships among ideas?
- Do they effectively engage the audience by using appropriate conventions and styles?
Please contact our Admissions Counselor, Mary Claire Jones, at (414) 382-6106, (800) 933-3401, or email her here.