By Judith Berger ‘98
Sister Laura Lampe joined the Alverno College of Music faculty in 1941 as a voice instructor. A true innovator and patrons of the arts, she founded and conducted the Alverno College Chorus, the Society Singers and the Alverno College Madrigal Singers. Her singing groups performed locally, nationally and internationally.
Sister Laura was also a founding member of Alverno’s Society of Fine Arts (S.O.F.A.), precursor to Alverno Presents established in 1960. David Ravel, the current director of Alverno Presents credits Sister Laura’s creative vision as the inspiration to the College’s mission to bring performance art to the community.
Sister Laura’s knowledge and contacts within the fine arts community enabled her to contract world renowned performers for the Alverno theater stage. Her contributions to Alverno College’s fine arts program and the fine arts community at large are immeasurable and still felt today. To honor her legacy, the Alphonsa Hall recital hall was renamed the Lampe Recital Hall.