Our Students

Working to be the Difference

Following in the footsteps of those who walked before her, Casey Scheibengraber was no stranger to Alverno College when she enrolled in January 2011. She learned of it first from her sister Lena who will graduate in spring 2013, as well as her mom who completed a previously started degree and just recently graduated.

While some students may grapple with what course of study to pursue, there was a clear and finite plan as far as Casey was concerned, “I love math and knew I wanted to pursue math as a major, along with a secondary education support.”

Casey quickly points out that it wasn’t until she had a good teacher that her attitude toward math changed, and her affinity grew. “There came a point when I realized that teachers have always made the difference in my life. And as I saw people struggle – especially with a subject like math that’s difficult for many people – I knew I wanted to make a difference, too.”

With her sights set on becoming a teacher and with so much familial success at Alverno, she wanted to attend the College, as well. “The small class size was attractive to me since I learn best in that type of learning structure. Equally important was the additional opportunity for field placements. I’m already on my second one, and I’ll have four before the start of my student teacher assignment.”

Although Casey is busy with school, she still finds time to remain active with extra-curricular and volunteer activities. She plays mid-field on Alverno’s soccer team; plays viola in the string ensemble; and, starting in April, she’ll serve as president of Circle K, a collegiate division of Kiwanis. Through her work with Circle K, she also recently had the chance to volunteer at the Penfield Children’s Center, an organization that serves the needs of infants and young children with behavioral disorders and physical disabilities.

It’s those volunteer efforts, helping others less fortunate than her, when Casey is most grateful for the financial assistance she receives. “I wouldn’t be able to volunteer, serve with Circle K, or play soccer if the Wisconsin Tuition Grant wasn’t part of my financial assistance.”

But the Wisconsin Tuition Grant is just one part of Casey’s financial aid package. She’s also the recipient of several scholarships, including the math-focused Future Scholars Scholarship and an academic scholarship. In addition, Casey qualifies for the work/study program, so she spends 20 hours each week working in the Financial Aid Office while school is in session and another 40 hours each week when she doesn’t have classes.

“It’s a tremendous relief to know that I’ll finish college with very little debt, and an even greater comfort that I can continue to make a difference in the lives of others.”

For Casey, graduation isn’t far off either. Thanks to her clear career direction, she expects to graduate in December 2015.