Our Students

The Power of Financial Aid

Adina Jerominski was a busy and very involved mom of three children when she made the life-changing decision, in 2008, to return to college. While she’s still a busy mom, her love of science prompted her to pursue a career in chemistry, while her preferred learning environment led her to Alverno.

“I attended other schools before having kids, but the structure and setting at a private college like Alverno is more ideal for my needs. I benefit from the small class sizes and individual attention, and I enjoy the diversity of students, including non-traditional students like myself. Plus, it’s close to my kids’ school, which is incredibly important.”

After enrolling at Alverno, it didn’t take Adina long to declare a double major in both chemistry and math. “Historically, I never really cared for math, but I learned to love it because of the learning style at Alverno. Of course my first love was and will always be chemistry.”

Adina is the recipient of the Wisconsin Tuition Grant, as well as a work/study program where she works as a tutor in the chemistry lab and the math and science resource center. During her time at Alverno, she also earned several impressive scholarships, including the National Science Foundation Future Scholars Program along with the highly competitive Her Scholarship offered through the Women’s Fund of Greater Milwaukee.

These opportunities not only provide Adina with much-needed financial assistance, but they also open the door to potential career paths. For instance, Adina has come to understand that while she thoroughly enjoys leading one-on-one tutoring sessions, she does not enjoy being in front of, or teaching large groups. As a result, she spends a considerable amount of time helping others’ learn – and even appreciate – science and math.

Among the volunteer and extra-curricular activities, Adina spends several hours every week at her son’s school where she tutors students in math. She also was involved with Wisconsin Alliance for Minority Participation (WiscAMP) where she serves as a mentor to minority students. The group represents a statewide consortium of colleges committed to doubling the underrepresented minority graduation rates of students in STEM fields.

Extending beyond tutoring and helping others’ learn, Adina spends her free time as a volunteer for Circle K, which is the collegiate division of Kiwanis. She is also extensively involved with the Math Club and recently attended a conference in Lincoln, Neb., specifically geared to undergraduate women in math.

Ultimately, Adina will pursue a career in the research-driven analytical chemistry field. To make her dream a reality, she plans to work for six months immediately after her undergraduate graduation in spring while she studies for the GRE and then proceed to graduate school.