Off-campus access to Alverno Library databases and online journal articles is available to Alverno students, faculty and staff using a library barcode and PIN.
If you experience difficulty with off-campus access, please refer to the following list of requirements.
For off-campus use of most Library databases and journal articles, authentication (entering library barcode and PIN) is required.
- Make sure you are accessing the database/article from the Library web site, TOPCAT or Moodle.
- If you haven't already set up a PIN number, you'll need to enter your barcode, leave the PIN blank, then click the "SUBMIT" button. You will be prompted to create a new PIN number. See How Do I Create a New PIN?
- If an error message such as, "Invalid PIN" or “Sorry, cannot locate patron record”, is displayed when you enter your PIN, refer to PIN Error Messages for help.
- Browser Settings
Your browser should be temporarily set up as follows:
- Cookies should be allowed.
- The URL for SWITCH, “*.switchinc.org” (without quotes), should be set up as a trusted site (or third-party cookies should be allowed).
- Cache should be set to check for a new version of a page each time a page is viewed.
- Popup Blockers should be disabled.
- Maximum Users
Some databases allow only a limited number of users from Alverno to access the database at the same time. If a message such as "maximum users exceeded" displays, try again later.
If you are using a personal firewall at home, configure your firewall to allow access to the URL for the database you wish to access and the URL for SWITCH, “*.switchinc.org” (without quotes). If you are behind a network firewall at your workplace or school, contact your System Administrator or IT department for help.
- Multimedia Databases
Some databases that provide information in a multimedia format may have additional technical requirements. These include ARTstor, Classical Music Library, Contemporary World Music, and Smithsonian Global Sound. See the technical requirements for these databases on the Databases A to Z page.
- Further Assistance
For further assistance, call the Alverno College Library Research Assistance Desk at 414-382-6062 or email an Alverno Librarian using Ask A Librarian.