- Alverno Admissions
- Graduate Admissions
- Family Nurse Practitioner Courses
- Application Procedures
- MSN Program Details
- Post-Master's Family Nurse Practitioner Program
Applying is easy. You may apply online, which is free.
Download the MSN Applications Forms.
- Three recommendations
- Official transcripts showing a baccalaureate or advanced degree
- Portfolio (requirements listed below)
- Current resume
- Copy of your unencumbered nursing license and current CPR certification
- Evidence of health insurance or signed waiver
- Up-to-date health records, a criminal background check and drug testing are required for clinical placement. Information will be provided at orientation.
Post Master's Admissions Requirements
If you are applying for the Post-Master’s Family Nurse Practitioner or Post-Master's Nurse Educator program, recommendations and the portfolio are not required.
Alverno does not require standardized test results. Instead, the writing examples outlined below will be used to help determine your ability to demonstrate graduate-level analytical writing and critical-thinking skills. Please pay particular attention to the criteria listed below as well as formal writing mechanics.
Submit a two to three page, double-spaced narrative essay that describes a nursing-related significant learning event that occurred when you were a nursing student or a practicing registered nurse. In this narrative, identify what happened, who was involved, and what you were feeling and thinking during this learning event. Describe how this learning event influenced your nursing practice. Finally, be especially thoughtful and descriptive about what you discovered about yourself as a learner.
In evaluating your learning narrative, the Graduate Nursing Admissions and Advancement Committee will use the following criteria:
- Effectively clarifies the elements that contributed to the significance of the selected learning event
- Clearly articulates how the learning event influenced your nursing practice
- Clearly explains the importance of this event in understanding yourself as a learner
- Writes clearly, using a purposeful structure, supporting examples and accurate writing style
Please articulate your goals for graduate study and describe how Alverno College's MSN will help you assume a role (or roles) as an advanced practice nurse.
In evaluating your goal statement, the Graduate Nursing Admissions and Advancement Committee will use the following criteria:
- Formulates realistic and achievable goals that are congruent with the mission and outcomes described in the MSN Handbook
- Writes clearly, using a purposeful structure, supporting examples and appropriate writing conventions
If you have any questions, please contact Janet Stikel at 414-382-6112, 800-933-3401 or e-mail her here.
Eligibility Requirements for Nurses from Foreign Countries
International applicants to Alverno's MSN program should request an international application packet through firstname.lastname@example.org.