Applying for Financial Aid
FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- When applying for aid, all names, dates of birth and Social Security numbers must match the legal names on your Social Security cards.
- Dependent students must have a parent electronically sign the FAFSA. Must undergraduate students under the age of 24 are considered dependent for financial aid purposes.
- Gather 2016 federal tax information for you and your parents.
Submit the FAFSA
- Complete your FAFSA at fafsa.ed.gov
- Select the appropriate school year: 2018-19
- List Alverno College. Our school code is 003832.
- When entering your tax information, you will be presented with the option to use the IRS data retrieval tool. Using this tool saves time and reduces error.
- Students and parents will use their 2016 tax information when completing the 2018-19 FAFSA. This is referred to as Prior-Prior Year because the prior, prior year's tax information is being use.
- Your FAFSA will not be processed until you and a parent both sign and submit it electronically. You will receive a confirmation email.
Tip: Filing the FAFSA is always FREE. Stay away from any site that charges you a filing fee.
If you get stuck or have problems, contact the FAFSA help desk at 800-433-3243 or studentaid.ed.gov.
After you file the FAFSA
- You will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) at the email address supplied on your FAFSA (postal address if you did not provide an email). Save your SAR.
- Note: The SAR is not your Alverno award letter. That will come directly from Alverno after your application for financial aid is complete.