JoAnn McGrath School of Nursing and Health Professions RRC
Research Review Committees
- Alverno Educator Researchers
- Alverno Student Researchers
- Information on Regulations
- IRB Members
- Researchers External to Alverno
- Role, Authority, Actions, and Jurisdiction
JoAnn McGrath School of Nursing and Health Professions Research Review Committee (SON-RRC)
The JoAnn McGrath School of Nursing and Health Professions (SON) requires that students complete a Practice-based Inquiry Project (PBIP) in
educational and/or clinical settings in partial fulfillment of the requirements for
graduation from the Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) program. The Getting Started page for student researchers describes important requirements for completing the
appropriate forms if the PBIP has been determined to have a research component.
SON graduate students work under the supervision of their faculty capstone mentor in the development of their proposal, which generally will involve activities not likely to be research. During the development, the faculty capstone mentor will evaluate the proposal for a research component using the SON-RRC Determination of Research Screening Checklist (SON Screening Checklist).
If the proposal is determined to have a research component, the graduate student will complete the appropriate forms on the Getting Started page for student researchers. Both the PBIP proposal and the student's completed IRB forms will be independently reviewed by the SON-RRC Chair.
If a research component has been identified in the proposal, a School of Nursing graduate student’s data collection for a PBIP cannot begin without both:
- Completing an appropriate IRB approval process (exempt, expedited, or full-review).
- If it can be anticipated that a PBIB will not easily fit an exemption category and review process, plan ahead because (a) an expedited review requires assignment of IRB members as reviewers and (b) a full-review must accommodate the schedule of IRB meetings
- And, receiving appropriate documentation of approval, which
- For determination of exemption, is the signature of the reviewer on the General Request for Exemption Determination form.
- And for an expedited or full-review, is a letter of approval from the Alverno IRB Chair that indicates how long data collection may proceed before re-approval would be necessary
The MSN student should also be aware of approvals they may need from the site where their PBIP will be conducted
- To conduct research in institutions other than Alverno, the student must adhere to IRB procedures required in these settings and seek appropriate approval prior to beginning their PBIP.
The flow chart, SON and Alverno Project Supervision and Decision Process, summarizes the decision process.Research Review Committees >