The 8 Core Abilities
- Our Unique Curriculum
- The 8 Core Abilities
- Alverno's Grading System
- Diagnostic Digital Portfolio
- About Ability-Based Learning
Abilities for today and tomorrow
The eight abilities are the foundation of the Alverno experience. They empower you to successfully solve problems today and tomorrow. Regardless of whether you want to be a nurse providing care for cancer patients, a businesswoman building a socially responsible company, or a scientist working to reduce carbon emissions, the eight abilities will prepare you for a demanding and rapidly changing world.
- makes meaning of the world by connecting people, ideas, books, media and technology. You must demonstrate and master the ability to speak, read, write and listen clearly, in person and through electronic media.
- helps define problems and integrate resources to reach decisions, make recommendations or implement action plans. You must demonstrate and master the ability to determine what is wrong and how to fix it, working alone or in groups.
- facilitates results in group efforts by eliciting the views of others to help formulate conclusions. You must demonstrate and master the ability to elicit other views, mediate disagreements and help reach conclusions in group settings.
- involves making informed choices and developing strategies for collaborative involvement in community issues. You must demonstrate and master the ability to act with an informed awareness of issues and participate in civic life through volunteer activities and leadership.
- develops critical and independent thinking. You must demonstrate and master the ability to use experience, knowledge, reason and belief to form carefully considered judgments.
- approaches moral issues by understanding the dimensions of personal decisions and accepting responsibility for consequences. You must demonstrate and master the ability to recognize different value systems, including your own; appreciate moral dimensions of your decisions and accept responsibility for them.
- requires understanding of -- and respect for -- the economic, social and biological interdependence of global life. You must demonstrate and master the ability to appreciate economic, social and ecological connections that link the world’s nations and people.
- integrates the intuitive dimensions of participation in the arts with broader social, cultural and theoretical frameworks. You must demonstrate and master the ability to engage with the arts and draw meaning and value from artistic expression.
Mastering the eight core abilities is what gives an Alverno student the power to stand out from the crowd.