The arts are integral to the development of self-expression, innovation and well-being. Through arts experiences, students learn to observe and engage with and shape the world, which provides opportunities for professional preparation and personal growth.
The Department of Dance/Theatre offers excellent possibilities to exercise your creativity. Unique opportunities to direct, choreograph and perform are offered each year. Department of Dance/Theatre offers a support area program where you can chose Dance or Theatre as your emphasis. If you choose Theatre as your emphasis, you would take the courses below.
- DA/TA 115 Fundamentals of Voice and Movement 2 cr.
- DA/TA 210 Improvisation 2 cr.
- TA 265 Acting 2 cr.
At least one of the following: 2 cr.
- DA 130/230 Contemporary Dance Technique
- DA 131/231 African Dance
- DA 132/232 Ballet technique
- DA 134/234 Jazz technique
- DA 134/234 Yoga
- DA 310 Dance History OR TA 310 Contemporary Theater 2 cr.
- TA 340 Intro to Directing 3 cr.
- TA 440 Advanced Directing 3 cr.
TOTAL credits 16 cr.
Dance/Theatre Support Area Learning Outcomes:
The student who successfully completes the dance/theatre support area should be able to:
- use creative approaches in making and responding to performance
- apply and assess a variety of creative strategies in the process of creating performance
- analyze, evaluate, and engage with performing arts from various cultures and historical periods
- demonstrate skills of cooperation, collaboration, and leadership
- integrate performance-related physical and vocal strategies in developing a distinctive and effective personal communication style