Bachelors of Science in Nursing
JoAnn McGrath School of Nursing
Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) Program
At Alverno, you’ll experience the world of nursing firsthand. You’ll work alongside professors who will personally guide you through rigorous course work, coach you to excel in clinical placements and prepare you for a lifetime of leadership as a skilled, compassionate nurse.
Not only that, Alverno is home to the largest nursing school in the state. This means access to the expertise and resources you need to become great, as well as a stronger network to keep you connected throughout your nursing career.
What really sets Alverno’s nursing program apart is that it’s reflective of the world in which you’ll work. Nurses are required to communicate effectively, think critically and problem-solve easily — all skills students master as a result of Alverno’s world-renowned abilities-based curriculum.
The student-to-faculty ratio is 10:1, which means your professors will know you by name and are dedicated partners in your success. You’ll work in simulation labs to practice providing nursing care in a realistic setting, all while honing your skills to evaluate your own performance. By the time you work with patients in your clinical placement, you’ll feel confident and well-prepared.
Your clinical experiences in areas of nursing that interest you are guaranteed, and, unlike many schools, there’s no waiting list to get in. Alverno has close partnerships with 25 community health organizations that include hospitals, clinics, home healthcare, long-term care, mental health facilities and more.
Your clinical work enhances everything learned in class, giving you the hands-on experience of a working nurse. Plus, you’ll make important career connections with local professionals. Thanks to the preparation they receive, Alverno nursing students are in high demand and stand out among their peers.
You’ll also have a unique opportunity during senior year, when you’ll pair up with a nurse in the community. You’ll be able to take on more responsibility, demonstrate your skills and begin your transition from student to practitioner.
Alverno will prepare you to excel no matter which area of nursing you choose. In fact, 98 percent of our nursing graduates who are seeking jobs get them.
A world of experience
What is the relationship between culture and health care? What can you learn from other cultures and health care practices? Experience nursing in Hong Kong, Japan or Jamaica while studying abroad for anywhere from two weeks to a full semester. There are some excellent scholarships to help support travel and housing costs.
Learn with nursing experts
Not only will you learn directly from professors who have advanced degrees in nursing, but you’ll gain experience and confidence interacting with industry professionals. Alverno’s nursing faculty are recognized experts in wellness, oncology, geriatrics, critical care and community health nursing. Plus, they’re well-connected with local organizations and associations, meaning you’re never short of professional networking.
Undergraduate Nursing Program Learning Outcomes
An Alverno College graduate with a major in nursing has demonstrated the ability:
- to apply leadership concepts and skills grounded in professional standards to support innovation and adaptation in evolving healthcare systems;
- to integrate theories and evidence based practice using multiple ways of thinking to promote, restore, and maintain optimum health of diverse individuals, families, communities, systems, and global populations;
- to integrate a global perspective with an understanding of self and others within the shared environment to promote health and well-being;
- to promote a culture of quality, safety, and inclusiveness through mindful practice of continuous quality improvement; and
- to communicate and collaborate effectively and professionally using a variety of modes.
GET IN TOUCH!
Have questions about Nursing at Alverno? We invite you to connect with our Admissions team to learn more.
Transfer Admissions Counselor
Director of Undergraduate Admissions
The best way to find out if Alverno is the right fit for you is to visut us on campus.
We’re available for visits from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. every weekday. Contact us to discuss options for after-hours or weekend visits at 414-382-6100 or 800-933-3401 or email email@example.com.
- Intro to the Nursing Profession
- Foundations of Biology
- Communication Seminar
- Nursing Diagnostic Assessment
- Concepts of Health/Wellness
- Foundations of Chemistry
- Lifespan Development
- Human Anatomy & Physiology
- Physiologic Mechanisms of Disease
- Pathophysiological Approach to Pharmacology
- Physical Assessment, Skills and Clinical
- Holistic Nursing Management
- Probability and Statistics for Nurses
- Abnormal Psychology
- Nursing Management of Aging Adults
- Nursing Management of Women and Children
- Clinical Nursing Practice I and II
- Advanced Nursing Science
- Nursing Practice & Health Care Seminar Series
- Nursing Leadership/Policy
- Global Perspectives/Effective Citizenship
- Advanced Nursing Science: Transitioning to Practice
Alverno is fully accredited through the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), the only agency devoted exclusively to accrediting baccalaureate and higher degree nursing education. Alverno has been granted the maximum 10-year accreditation period, extending from December 2009 through December 2019.
The JoAnn McGrath School of Nursing is also approved by the Wisconsin Board of Nursing. Alverno College maintains continuous accreditation through the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
The Alverno College JoAnn McGrath School of Nursing students consistently perform above national average on NCLEX. To view the current NCLEX pass rates, click here.